Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Government Student Loans

IMPORTANT: Please note that federal and provincial student loan regulations include stipulations for the Borrower in terms of the minimum course load, expressed as a percentage of the normal course load at the University, which the Borrower must carry in order to benefit from the program. This minimum must be maintained throughout the academic year, e.g. a student who wishes to receive either money or interest-free status under the Canada Student Loan Plan for the entire academic year must carry not fewer than 60 per cent of the normal course load (expressed in credit hours) for each term. Please note, to be eligible for provincial loan funding from Newfoundland, you must be registered in 80% of the normal class load. At Dalhousie, the normal credit hour load for student loan purposes is 30. The Borrower must carry not fewer than 18 credit hours, distributed equally between the terms, e.g. nine. If your particular program does not conform to this scheme, you should apply to Student Aid for funding for only that term in which your course load would fulfill this regulation. Federal and provincial rules can differ on this matter.

If you must drop or add courses, exercise care so as not to jeopardize your governmental student loan(s).

Addresses of Provincial Student Aid Authorities

Canadian students are to apply for government assistance to the appropriate agency in that province or territory in which the applicant is a bona fide resident.


Alberta Students Finance
PO Box 28000
Station Main
Edmonton, AB T5J 4R4
Fax: (780) 422-4516
Tel: (780) 427-3722
1-800-222 6485 (toll free in Canada) 

British Columbia

Student Services Branch
Ministry of Advanced Education
PO Box 9173
Stn Provincial Government
Victoria, BC V8W 9H7
Fax: 1-800-262-2112
1-800-561-1818 (toll free in Canada/US)


Manitoba Student Aid Advanced Education
409 - 1181 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3G 0T3
Fax: (204) 948-3421
Tel: (204) 945-2313 (outside Manitoba)
1-800-204-1686 (toll free in Manitoba)

New Brunswick

Student Financial Services
Department of Education
PO Box 6000
440 King Street, Suite 420
Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1
Fax: (506) 444-4333
Tel: (506) 453-2577 or
1-800-667-5626 (Atlantic Provinces, Ontario and Quebec only)

Newfoundland & Labrador

Newfoundland and Labrador
Student Financial Assistance
PO Box 8700
St. John’s, NL A1C 4J6
Fax: (709) 729-2298

Northwest Territories

Student Financial Assistance
Department of Education
Cultural and Employment
Government of NWT
PO Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Fax: 1-800-661-0893
Tel: (867) 873-7190

Nova Scotia

Labour and Advanced Education Student Assistance
PO Box 2290, Halifax Central
Halifax, NS B3J 3C8
Fax: (902) 424-0540
Tel: (902) 424-8420 (metro)
1-800-565-8420 (within province)
(Street location: 1256 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS)


Adult Learning & Post-Secondary Services
Nunavut Department of Education
Box 390
Arviat, NU X0C 0E0
Fax: 1-877-860-0167


Ontario Student Assistance Program
Student Support Branch
Ministry of Training,
Colleges and Universitie
PO Box 4500
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6G9
Fax: (807) 343-7278
Tel: (807) 343-7260

Prince Edward Island

Student Financial Services
Department of Education
PO Box 2000
16 Fitzroy St
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Fax: (902) 368-6144
Tel: (902) 368-4640


Residents of Québec apply to:
Ministère de l'Éducation
Aide financière aux études
1035, rue De La Chevrotière
Québec, QC G1R 5A5
Tel: (418) 646-4505


Student Financial Assistance Branch Saskatchewan Learning
3085 Albert Street, Walter Scott Building
Regina, SK S4P 3V7
Tel: (306) 787-5620

Yukon Territory

Students Financial Assistance
Advanced Education Branch
Department of Education
Government of Yukon
PO Box 2703
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6
Fax: (867) 667-8555
Tel: (867) 667-5929
1-800-661-6408 Local 5929 (within Yukon)

Temporary Loans

The University has established a temporary loan program to assist all registered Dalhousie students with certain types of short-term financial difficulty when no other resource is available. Students must provide proof of their ability to repay the loan within the time period. (Loans are not meant for tuition fee payment.) These loans have a short interest-free period, after which interest will be charged. Refer to the Temporary Loan Application for further details. Applications may be picked up in the Registrar’s Office, Room 130, Henry Hicks Academic Administration Building, the Sexton Campus Student Service Centre, the Enrolment Services Centre (Agricultural Campus), or online at